Tuesday 13 November 2012

Cracked Earth, Sleek Fashion and Tumbleweed

Very excited to show you these, from my most recent photographic adventure with photographer Jeremy Howitt. As you may have noticed, we do end up shooting in some fun places, and when I mentioned to Jeremy that I'd be in California in October he took the opportunity to visit too! I am having a bit of a dilemma here about which images to post first, but think I'll go for the ones taken at Lucerne Valley dry lake bed. (Edit: I might be lying; I'll probably post everything.)

Jeremy had in mind some images he'd seen of some dry, cracked earth, and I jumped at the idea, as I have never shot in a location like that before - one where you can literally see the ground splitting apart - and I knew it would make for some amazing shots! Luckily, we found an absolutely perfect spot and also managed to coincide our jaunt with a storm which was making its way in over the San Bernadino mountains, which made for the incredible sky you'll see below. (No, it really wasn't photoshopped in!). Jeremy has already posted a thread on PurplePort about the trip here, if you'd like to read his version of events.

As always, I'm very grateful to Jeremy for choosing me to model for him yet again, and in such amazing places! Some of these images are just so spectactular - a wonderful combination of landscape photography and figurative art. In this area we focused mainly on keeping the pose(s) simple while Jeremy experimented with perspective. I especially love the fourth shot here (which I then go on to post a million versions/crops of... sorry!... Help?) I think this amazing place deserves to be seen in both monochrome and colour. Any preferences though?











Previous to this set, we had visited El Mirage, another dry lake bed in the Mojave Desert, but one whose landscape is completely different. I really love how simple these shots are - in such a vast, empty space the poses are everything.. all the world's a stage, etc., etc., and I love the dusty tones on the horizon. (Clothes provided by Jeremy.)




















I like to call this the 'Batwoman' set:




And we also managed some quick nudes, despite having to chase the black fabric half way down the desert at one point. That wind was fast!




And finally, a quick set we did with some tumbleweed found on the side of the road. We were pretty determined to do this (dappled light = goodness!) and again the wind played its part; it took great restraint and gravity control not to be pulled around while lifting it up. They are surprisingly heavy. And utter wind traps. Pretty amazing little (big) things, tumbleweeds!



So, I'm afraid this has been another bumper blog post... I have been spoiled with images again (I also have square-crop versions of most, and the colour/mono debate is evident once more...) so please do declare your favourites with any comments! Thank you!